Flights to New York from London Heathrow
Do you want to book a London to New York flight? Take a look at this page to find out necessary and useful information on London Heathrow airport.
London Heathrow Airport (LHR)
Heathrow is one of six international airports serving the London region. It is 14 miles (23 km) west of central London, and the airport itself has five terminals. You can find several different routes to New York from London Heathrow with different airlines. Several major airlines operate flights to John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA).
Please find below a list of airlines operating flights from London Heathrow to New York:
|Aer Lingus||1 stop in Dublin (DUB) or Shannon (SNN) IE||JFK/Newark|
|Air Canada||Direct or 1 stop in Toronto Pearson International (YYZ)||Newark/LaGuardia|
|Air France||Direct or 1 stop in Boston Logan International (BOS) or Detroit Wayne County (DTW)||JFK/Newark/LaGuardia|
|American Airlines||Direct or 1 stop in Madrid, Spain (MAD) or Chicago O’Hare International (ORD) or Philadelphia International (PHL)||JFK/Newark/LaGuardia|
|Austrian||Direct or 1 stop at Vienna, Austria (VIE)||Newark|
|British Airlines||Direct or 1 stop in Madrid, Spain (MAD) or Toronto Pearson International (YYZ)||JFK/Newark/LaGuardia|
|Brussels Airlines||1 stop at Brussels International, Belgium (BRU)||Newark|
|Delta Airlines||Direct or 1 stop at Minneapolis St Paul (MSP) or Detroit Wayne County (DTW) or Boston Logan International (BOS)||JFK/Newark/LaGuardia|
|Iberia||Direct or 1 stop in Madrid, Spain (MAD) or Chicago O’Hare International (ORD) or Philadelphia International (PHL)||JFK/Newark/LaGuardia|
|Icelandair||1 stop in Reykjavik Keflavik (KEF)||JFK/Newark|
|Finnair||Direct or 1 stop in Chicago O’Hare International (ORD)||JFK/Newark|
|KLM||Direct or 1stop in Boston Logan International (BOS)||JFK/Newark/LaGuardia|
|Lufthansa||1 stop in Toronto Pearson International (YYZ)||LaGuardia|
|United Airlines||1 stop in Washington Dulles (IAD)||LaGuardia|
|Virgin Atlantic||Direct or 1stop in Boston Logan International (BOS) or Minneapolis St Paul (MSP)||JFK/Newark/LaGuardia|
The average flight time from London Heathrow to New York is just over 7 hours. However, this depends on factors such as weather conditions and which airline you fly with.
For most of the year when British Summer Time (BST) is not in effect, London is 5 hours ahead of New York. Whereas when this is in effect, London is 4 hours ahead of New York City. You can read more about the time difference between the UK and New York here.
Price for a flight London Heathrow – New York (LHR)
If you are flying to JFK or Newark airport, most of the major airlines offer direct flights. However, if you would like a cheaper flight to New York; you’ll likely have to book a flight with at least one transfer. The price of airline tickets to New York changes depending on the time of year. If you book on time and avoid travelling during busier months then you can find return tickets from around £360
from London Heathrow airport. Flexibility is also a key to save money on flights.
The most expensive periods are the summer months and the end of the year (with the holiday season including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Eve) in New York. To get the best rates, I advise trying to book your flight at least 6 months in advance.
Directions to the airport
Before you depart, it’s always advised to be aware of which terminal you are scheduled to depart from. There are several ways to get to London Heathrow, which you can find more information about below.
- Terminals 2 and 3: these terminals are close together at the centre of the airport site. Exit the M4 (junction 4) or M25 (junction 15) and follow signs for Heathrow Terminals 2 and 3.
- Terminal 4: Terminal 4 is located on the south side of the airport, and can be reached from Terminals 1, 2 & 3 via the free inter-terminal transfer service on the Heathrow Express train, which takes approximately eight minutes.
- Terminal 5: This terminal is on the Western Perimeter Road and has its own separate access road, reached from junction 14 of the M25. If you’re coming from the M4, exit at junction 4b and follow the M25 south to junction 14.
- Taxi or minicab: fares and journey times may be higher if there are delays or heavy traffic. I advise checking tariffs online in advance so you have an estimation of the total fare. You can check taxi tariffs on the Transport for London (TFL) network.
- Express train: the Paddington Heathrow Express is a dedicated rail express link into London Paddington to and from London Heathrow. Tickets are available online or via the Heathrow Express app as well as at arrivals or stations.
- Bus or coach: services into west London are part of the Transport for London (TFL) network. Depending on where you are departing from, it is best to plan your journey by checking their website.
London Heathrow Airport offers several options for securely parking your car such as short term, long term, valet and economical parking. Go to the London Heathrow website to book a parking space or receive a quote for your vehicle.
London Heathrow Airport Map
It can be difficult to find your way around the airport. You can find the airport map for London Heathrow below, you can also click on the image below to enlarge it.
Image source: London Heathrow Airport
Was this article helpful? Recommend it by giving me a rating: